Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Passion and a couple of other thoughts...

Tell me what you think about the quote below:
"Just because someone is not doing something, it doesn't mean that their not passionate about it."
Doesn't it?

Tap the Breaks
I am a big Cardinal fan. I have a few friends that are unabashedly homers. These are guys who enjoy Mike Shannon. (I cringe every time I hear John Rooney introduce the "Moon Man" as "The Voice of the Cardinals). We are all tempted to be proud of the fact that the Cards won more games this April than any other April. That is great compared to what the "experts" were expecting out of this team (fourth or fifth place in the Central). But the "record" has to be looked at with some perspective. This year the Cardinals played more games in April than ever (29). They used to only play about 21 games every April (season didn't start until the 6th with several off days).
Still great, .621 winning percentage. That translates into a 100 win season. I'd take that!

Underrated band again
I used to love the Smithereens. Mid to late 80s band. Albums like Especially for You, Green Thoughts and 11. "Blood and Roses" has a great opening bass line. Green Thoughts was their most complete release with "Only a Memory", "House We Used to Live", "The World We Know". Smithereens 11 had "Girl Like You" (probably their biggest hit), "Cut Flowers", and "Blue Period" (with Belinda Carlyle on background vocals). Great pop songs with a hard rock edge.
Check out "Drown in My Own Tears".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can passion not lead to activity? I don't know how the quote can make sense...

Bill Victor said...

Thank you, that was my point. The guy was talking a about a desire to do college ministry and I asked him what was he currently doing to minister to college students. And he came up with that quote.

MDK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MDK said...

C'Mon Victor...get your foot off the brake and enjoy the glass while it's half full.

And I think the exact quote was..."Just because someone is not doing anything about something...doesn't mean they're not passionate about it." A mere technicality...and a moment I won't soon forget.

matt gallion said...

Well, I don't know the context, but maybe sometimes following our passions comes into contradiction with our reason, and we don't technically do anything about it. Unless, of course, we decide we want to include contemplation as an activity. Or perhaps, our passions are too scary, too uncertain, or even impossible. I'd loooove to travel the world for the rest of my life and never work again. And I truly am passionate about it (to a certain extent, but it is only an analogy). And perhaps someday I'll do something about it, but I think the key to this quote is the tense. Perhaps I might be passionate about certain things, but I'm not doing anything about them right now for whatever reason.

And who knows, maybe by the time I build up the courage, resources, time or energy to pursue it, I won't even want to anymore.

Ben said...

Billy V...so now I am homer? Bill, let me just say, with all intellectually honesty, the cardinals will win the world series this year and Ryan Ludwick will by the NL MVP.

Bill Victor said...

No homerism there. I apologize, I think you have just given a legitmate unbiased opinion. I stand corrected.

The Nelson's said...

BV,

Being optomistic about the Cardinal's season after the quick start does not make you a homer. Also, while the 1st month's schedule did favor the Card's, some statistics do actually point to their good month as being something more than a fluke. Second best team ERA, fewest walks allowed, most walks taken, highest OBP. I'm just sayin'. They're playing good ball and are aggressive. Now considering Mike Shannon one of the all-time best, that would make one a homer. At least he's entertaining though.

Bill Victor said...

How do you know I was referring to you? Anyway, I am a pessimist by nature, so filter all posts through that.

The MAN Fan Club said...

You may need to do another Cardinal blog update and how May isn't looking so good.

TheMAN in StL from June 11(this day seems familar) to July 7th. Will get together!

TheMAN