Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Life Lessons from Joe Poz

Joe Posnanski was discussing some lessons he learned from a seasoned, creative reporter when he was younger. Here is a brief recap of some of the things he learned.
Lesson 1: NEVER assume anything.
Lesson 2: NEVER just wait around and hope.
Lesson 3: The “work harder than other people” concept is bigger than words, whether it involves reporting, sports, and life. Chiefs’ tight end Tony Gonzalez has made this point to me numerous times — after every practice he catches 100 or 200 extra passes. On the sideline, while others sit and wait, he is constantly asking someone to throw him more passes. Why? He says it’s because if you are NOT catching those extra passes, then you are doing what everybody else doing. “EVERYBODY practices hard,” he says. “That’s the part people don’t realize. When I hear someone say they’re working hard, I think, ‘No you’re not. You just practice like everyone else. You’re just doing what you’re supposed to do. What you do after practice tells me how hard you’re working.’”

Those last words struck me. I have been inspired by Jim Collins from Catalyst (author of Good to Great). Great organizations have a culture of discipline. I am seeking to foster in my own culture of discipline in my own little work station and seeking that example from Tony Gonzalez is further inspiration that greatness is fostered from working hard. We all have the Spirit of God and incredible power at our disposal, but how many of us are willing to do the hard work that unleashes this power?

Here is my question to you: What do you think the hard work is that unleashes the power of God in our lives?

No comments: