Thursday, October 17, 2013

Favorite Songs - 1980

Things are getting interesting. I'm inching close to high school. Music is definitely playing a bigger role in my life. Here are the songs that I remember impacting me in 1980.

Once in a Lifetime – Talking Heads - one of the greatest music videos of all time. I remember seeing this video on SCTV. Was one of the weirdest things I had seen up til then.
Another One Bites the Dust – Queen - What a great bass line. Closest to disco Queen came.
And the Cradle Will Rock – Van Halen - Saw them in concert in 1982. I had some rivet-head tendencies at times.
Cars – Gary Numan - early New Wave song, iconic.
Theme from New York, New York – Frank Sinatra - The Chairman of the Board. Originally done by Liza Minelli.
Everybody’s Got to Learn Sometime – The Korgis - One hit wonders, Beck covered this song for the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
Here Comes My Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - this song still sounds fresh and he is still relevant to this day.
Talk of the Town – Pretenders - this was in the punk rock(ish) movie "Times Square". Horrible movie, great soundtrack.
Canary in a Coalmine – The Police - Saw them in '83 (and 2007). From the same album that had "Don't Stand So Close to Me". This song stayed with me longer.
Generals and Majors – XTC - they should have been bigger. Their lack of touring probably killed them.
Turn It On Again – Genesis - love the live version of this song (saw them in 85)
London Calling – The Clash - iconic (post) punk song with a great melody
I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down – Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Such a great pop songwriter. I liked his collaboration with the Roots this year.
Redemption Song – Bob Marley and the Wailers - I can't help but impose Christian imagery on this song.
Celebration – Kool and the Gang - if you grew up in STL during the 80s, this song holds a special place in your heart.
Hungry Heart – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - as close as the Boss got to pop music in this time.
Double Dutch Bus – Frankie Smith - is it sad that I probably remember all of the words to this song (or is it awesome?)

Just the Two of Us – Grover Washington Jr. - with Bill Withers, this was a great album by Grover. I wore this cassette out during my fusion/jazz phase. I still love jazz (not fusion as much).

For what it's worth...

2 comments:

Addwin Net said...

Belilah Skripsi di Jual Skripsi. Silahkan simak lagi Itupoker.com Agen Poker Online Indonesia Terpercaya, serta kunjungi juga ya Kuasai DuniaTerima kasih..

Anonymous said...

Greating give information for you, thanks to give up. It's excenlant post. Itupoker.Com Agen Poker Online Indonesia Terpercaya