Thursday, October 17, 2013

Favorite Songs - 1980

Things are getting interesting. I'm inching close to high school. Music is definitely playing a bigger role in my life. Here are the songs that I remember impacting me in 1980.

Once in a Lifetime – Talking Heads - one of the greatest music videos of all time. I remember seeing this video on SCTV. Was one of the weirdest things I had seen up til then.
Another One Bites the Dust – Queen - What a great bass line. Closest to disco Queen came.
And the Cradle Will Rock – Van Halen - Saw them in concert in 1982. I had some rivet-head tendencies at times.
Cars – Gary Numan - early New Wave song, iconic.
Theme from New York, New York – Frank Sinatra - The Chairman of the Board. Originally done by Liza Minelli.
Everybody’s Got to Learn Sometime – The Korgis - One hit wonders, Beck covered this song for the movie "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
Here Comes My Girl – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - this song still sounds fresh and he is still relevant to this day.
Talk of the Town – Pretenders - this was in the punk rock(ish) movie "Times Square". Horrible movie, great soundtrack.
Canary in a Coalmine – The Police - Saw them in '83 (and 2007). From the same album that had "Don't Stand So Close to Me". This song stayed with me longer.
Generals and Majors – XTC - they should have been bigger. Their lack of touring probably killed them.
Turn It On Again – Genesis - love the live version of this song (saw them in 85)
London Calling – The Clash - iconic (post) punk song with a great melody
I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down – Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Such a great pop songwriter. I liked his collaboration with the Roots this year.
Redemption Song – Bob Marley and the Wailers - I can't help but impose Christian imagery on this song.
Celebration – Kool and the Gang - if you grew up in STL during the 80s, this song holds a special place in your heart.
Hungry Heart – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - as close as the Boss got to pop music in this time.
Double Dutch Bus – Frankie Smith - is it sad that I probably remember all of the words to this song (or is it awesome?)

Just the Two of Us – Grover Washington Jr. - with Bill Withers, this was a great album by Grover. I wore this cassette out during my fusion/jazz phase. I still love jazz (not fusion as much).

For what it's worth...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greating give information for you, thanks to give up. It's excenlant post. Itupoker.Com Agen Poker Online Indonesia Terpercaya