Thursday, September 19, 2013

Favorite Songs of 1979

Here is my list of my favorite songs (as best as I can remember) from 1979. Good mix of AOR, adult contemporary, pop and funk.

Heart of Glass – Blondie - the opening sound was so captivating
What a Fool Believes – Doobie Brothers - huge song from a big album of this year
Shake Your Body – The Jacksons - I would dance to this at school dances (and I would literally shake my body down to the ground).
I Want You to Want Me – Cheap Trick - everybody could mimic Robin's intro to this song. Live at the Budokan
Boogie Wonderland – Earth, Wind and Fire and The Emotions - this song is featured in Caddyshack
Lotta Love – Nicolette Larson - it seemed like I woke up to this song every day in eighth grade.
Goodnight Tonight – Wings - everybody was experimenting with a disco beat. This was Paul's contribution.
New York Groove – Ace Frehley - the best song by the four solo albums by the Kiss members. (Radioactive by Gene was second).
Lay It On the Line – Triumph - Johnny Schorr and I saw them in concert at the Kiel
Rise – Herb Alpert - an instrumental? Why not, it's Herb Alpert. We'll see him again.
Walking on the Moon – The Police - if this isn't my favorite Police song it's close
Take Me to the River – Talking Heads - great cover of an Al Green song.
Goodbye Stranger – Supertramp - from Breakfast in America, stellar album (could have chosen Take the Long Way Home)
Cruel to Be Kind – Nick Lowe - one of the more perfect pop songs of the new wave era.
Soul Man – The Blues Brothers - had the album, not bad (with Rubber Biscuit by Dan Ackroyd).
(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding – Elvis Costello and the Attractions - still holds up after 30 plus years.
Rolene – Moon Martin - saw this song on a list of hits from the year. Stuck with me.
Arrow Through Me – Wings - I love the bass line to start this song, I had the 8 track for this album
Water of Love – Dire Straits - could have been Sultans of Swing, but went off the path for this.
Big Shot – Billy Joel - they were all impressed with your Halston dress...
Dreaming – Blondie - couldn't decide on a Blondie song so I chose two.
Making Plans for Nigel – XTC - saw this on Don Kirschner's Rock Concert. Loved that show (and Midnight Special)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen - kind of an early Elvis feel?
Pop Muzik – M - novelty song that stuck with me
Don’t Do Me Like That – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Boys Don’t Cry – The Cure - I thought this came out later, one of my favorites by them
Shattered – The Rolling Stones - not the biggest Stones fan, but I do like this.
Good Times – Chic - best bass line for a pop/funk song ever?
Train in Vain – The Clash - They had a pop side as well, thanks to Mick Jones
Chuck E.’s in Love – Rickie Lee Jones - this song grew on me during that year.

What did I leave out?

1 comment:

Gina Grady said...

McArthur Park - Donna Summer (never, EVER understood that song...and probably never will!)

My Sharona - The Knack - Was one of the most popular jukebox songs at my high school that year.

Lady - The LIttle River Band - got the album and the sheet music to this song. (Loved the piano riff)

The Devil Went Down to Georgia - remember the "not so clean" version?