Wednesday, November 28, 2007

N. T. Wright on Evangelism

Here are some thoughts on evangelism from scholar N. T. Wright:

As I’ve said before, God is going to fix the whole world. He’s going to put the whole world to rights. But actually, the advance plan for that is to put human beings to rights in advance. And when that happens, which is what happens through the gospel, it isn’t just, Phew! I’m okay now so I’m going to heaven! It’s I am actually being put right, in order that I can be part of that ongoing purpose.In other words, it’s both conversion and call, which as it was for Paul… converted to see that Jesus is the Messiah, which he’d never dreamt of before, called simultaneously ipso facto to be the apostle to the Gentiles. And in the same way, when the gospel reaches an individual, it is so that they can take part in God’s larger kingdom project.

I once on a train was approached by a Japanese student who saw me reading a book about Jesus. He didn’t know much English. He said, “Can you tell me about Jesus?” I was about to get off the train. I simply told him (he didn’t know the story) that there was this man who was a Jew. He believed that God’s purposes to rescue the whole world were coming to fulfillment. He died to take the weight of evil upon himself. He rose to launch God’s project and to invite the whole world to join in with it and find it for themselves. How long did that take me? 35 seconds? That’s more or less it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can reveal that I approve of with you, but you may be considering other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the downgrade delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=crystal button 2.8 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you profit by the black methods of development of the resource. I take a week and do necheg