Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Chuckle for a Dollar

I was walking down High St. in Jefferson City, MO and I walked by a street musician. He was playing guitar and singing what seemed like an original gospel song. I kept walking, not really knowing how much to acknowledge him. I gave him a weak smile and kept on moving. I saw the hat with a few coins in it, wondered if I should give a buck or something. I finished my business up the street and had to return. I didn't want to walk by the guy again, but I did. I got up to him and I thought, I'll give him a buck. I got a dollar out of my wallet (he sees it) and I feel committed to hang around for a bit to hear him sing and give a buck. After I got my dollar out, I realized he was probably drunk and singing for change to buy some booze. Augh! I didn't want to give him a dollar to collect his change and buy some hooch, but I felt committed. I put the buck in and he wants to talk. He tells me he is going to play his favorite song. It was "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello. He sang it with such passion. I know the song, so at one point I began to sing along. Just me and a drunk guy with a guitar singing a song about anti-immigration sentiment in London from the 80s. I wonder how that would look if somebody I knew had driven or walked past at that time while we were singing "Oliver's Army is here to stay/ Oliver's Army are on their way/ And I would rather be anywhere else but here today..."
Good times...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good times!! That would be a great video for youtube. Please start carrying a video camera when u go to hang & sing with the drunks! hahaha

me

Anonymous said...

Now that's the Bill Victor we all know and love!!!

The MAN Fan Club said...

Why didn't you just ask him what his favorite hooch was and go buy it. Save him the trouble of embarrassin himself. Really, not your problem if he decides to buy something unfruitful with your dollar.