Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ron Artest - Genius

Sporty today

Ron Artest was recently traded to the Houston Rockets. Yao Ming had an interesting reaction: "Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.

Ron Artest at first reacted against the mischaracterization by saying that Yao had bought into all the propaganda about him. Then, he completely justified Yao’s thoughts:

“I understand what Yao said, but I'm still ghetto," Artest said, according to the report. "That's not going to change. I'm never going to change my culture. Yao has played with a lot of black players, but I don't think he's ever played with a black player that really represents his culture as much as I represent my culture. If you go back to the brawl, that's a culture issue right there," Artest added, according to the report. "Somebody was disrespecting me, so he's got to understand where I'm coming from. People that know me know that Ron Artest never changed."

So Ron was representing his culture, letting the people he grew up with that he hasn’t changed. Seriously, if that is your culture, why do you seek something better? Why don’t you seek to be a real agent of change and example to your culture? The majority of the people in that “culture”, who begin a brawl when they feel disrespected, are going nowhere. Ron was blessed with great athletic ability and worked hard to get where he is. Why doesn’t he show that side, the hard working athlete who seeks to improve himself and bring his culture along?

See the story in ESPN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he be keepin' it real yo!

cb