Monday, October 12, 2009

Catalyst Thoughts - Andy Stanley

Over the next couple of days, I am going to be posting my thoughts from the Catalyst Conference. I am not going to providing outlines to the messages, but I will be posting thoughts that I thought were important to me.

Andy Stanley began Catalyst 09 by looking at Joshua. He read from 5.13-15. Joshua encounters a man with a drawn sword and Joshua asks him who's side is the man on. He soon realizes that the man is the captain of the heavenly army. The angel lets him know that he is on neither side. The point being that we should seek to be on the Lord's side instead of seeking him to be on our side.

The salient points for Andy were the question, not asking God what role he is playing in our story, but what role are we playing in His story.

He states that our duty is to be obedient to God and trust him with the consequences. (That was a lesson he learned from observing his father, Charles Stanley, going through difficult circumstances).

Andy then discussed our desire to make our mark in the world. Andy turned that phrase around as well as he had mentioned being obedient to God. Me, making my mark, is too small of a thing to accomplish. Instead, I should be obedient to God and let God make his mark through me.

That got me thinking about how I could leave God's mark on my neighborhood, the campus I serve, etc. How can I, through God's power, leave this place a better place.

No comments: